Landslide in Uttarakhand, several tourists stuck

Landslide in Uttarakhand, several tourists stuck

Landslide in Uttarakhand, several tourists stuck

At least 179 pilgrims from Maharashtra - among the 25,000 stranded after a massive landslide en route to the holy shrine of Badrinath - are safe, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said on Saturday.

Efforts to open the Rishikesh-Badrinath highway are still in progress, after a landslide near Vishnuprayag blocked the route in Uttarakhand's Chamoli district on Friday, leaving hundreds of Char Dham Yatra pilgrims stranded.

Local media quoted Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat as saying 1,800 tourists including pilgrims were affected due to highway blockade.

A major boulder has damaged about 65 meters of the road and the number of vehicles struck is said to be around 500. The highway has remained closed near Vishnuprayag, one of the five confluences of the Alaknanda river, between Joshimath (also known as Jyotirmath) and Badrinath.

Читайте также: NHL Predictions: Will the Predators win Game 3 vs

According to BRO the road will be opened for the traffic by this afternoon today.

"By noon all roads will be cleared, and by evening, all pilgrims will be made to board trains to their respective home stations". Keeping in view the danger posed by intermittent fall of debris from the mountain, the district administration has arranged for safety of travellers at convenient places in advance, Joshi said.

The landslide happened during the ongoing "Chardham Yatra" when nearly 2.5 lakh pilgrims have visited the sacred temples in the state so far.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2017 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Related news